Prepare for Surgery
To help reduce anxiety, enjoy peace of mind and get answers to questions you might have about your pending surgery, join our Prepare for Surgery workshop.
This free workshop is led by a team of UCSF experts from anesthesia, pain management, and the UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine. Together, we will help you understand your options for anesthesia and pain management and teach you mind-body techniques to help you relax and achieve a state of mind conducive to healing.
People who attend this workshop often:
- Feel more relaxed before surgery;
- Have more tools to manage pre-surgery anxiety; and
- May require less pain medication.
Read the TIME article: Your Mood Can Predict How Well Your Surgery Goes: Study
Note: You are welcome to attend at any time, but the class is most helpful 2-3 weeks before surgery. If you are unable to attend, one-on-one pre-surgery preparation is available with Teresa Corrigan, RN, MA, CLYT.
|Time:||2 Mondays per month (dates below)
|Location:||1545 Divisadero St.
4th Floor, Room 424
Map & Directions
|Instructors:||Teresa Corrigan, RN, MA, BCB, CLYT
and Brenda Watkins, MS, FNP
|Registration/Info:||Please call 415-353-7718 or e-mail us.|
- January 9 & 23
- February 6 & 27
- March 6 & 20
- April 3 & 17
- May 1 & 15
- June 5 & 19
- July 10 & 24
- August 7 & 21
- September 11 & 25
- October 2 & 16
- November 6 & 20
- December 4 & 18
This class is in collaboration with UCSF Perioperative Services, Department of Anesthesia and Nursing.This class is sponsored by the Mount Zion Health Fund.
- 95% of participants agree that they feel more prepared for surgery after taking the class.
- 99% of participants would recommend this class to their doctor for referrals.
- 100% of participants would recommend this class to their friends.
- “Honestly, I feel like this class is fantastic. The information presented by the doctor was great; the stress, anxiety relief, breathing exercises and guided imagery were outstanding. Thank you.”
- “Amazing class! I highly recommend this workshop. It made a huge difference to me in my sense of being heard and having information, knowing my choices, knowing that this is the best care available, so I can relax and trust. Thank you for the wonderful shift in my outlook and all the positive strategies. You guys are so compassionate, caring and generous! Thank you!”
- “I want to thank you so very much for your assistance in preparing me for surgery. My surgery actually went well! It has been pretty good since the tumor was removed. I am getting healthier and stronger with each passing day… Your advice about how hospitals operate was truly a life saver. It allowed me to let go and go with the flow… Thanks for being a bridge to the next part of my healing.”
Should you need accommodation in order to apply to or participate in a program offered by the Osher Center, please contact the Osher Clinic Education Coordinator at email@example.com or 415-353-7718.