Communitas, a mind-body skills and resilience program for teens living with chronic illness and their parents, is now enrolling participants for its next program, starting Saturday, January 9, 2016 at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine. There is no charge to families for this program.
Communitas was developed by Dr. Brittany Blockman, a pediatrician and current fellow in the Osher Center’s new clinical fellowship in integrative medicine.
- The mission of Communitas is to improve the lives, health, and well-being of young people living with life-altering chronic illness and their families by providing transformative integrative medicine education and experiences, peer support, and empowerment with self-care skills.
- Specifically, we will be teaching and practicing meditation, mindfulness skills, biofeedback, guided imagery, movement skills, reflective and creative practices, healthy nutritional principles, and more all within a supportive group setting.
- There will also be an option for participants to be enrolled in a UCSF IRB-approved study on the program, involving surveys, free response forms and possibly videotaped interviews, for which they will be compensated for their time.
- 13-19 year-old patients living with a life-altering chronic condition and their parents who would like help in bolstering health in the face of illness, coping better with stress and symptoms, and/or building resilience
- Cognitively intact enough to be able to participate in the program in a meaningful way
- Patient and parent(s) willing to commit to attending the program on a regular basis and participate in the activities
- Every other Saturday starting January 9, 2016 for 10 sessions, 10:00 a.m. -12:00 noon
- Held at UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine (map and directions)
- Separate teen and parent groups held simultaneously
- Parking or public transportation fees and a healthy lunch provided
How to Enroll:
Please e-mail email@example.com, and the program director will contact you to make sure you are eligible to enroll. She will also answer any questions you have on the program or related study.