Osher Center Provides Reflexology Treatments During Chemotherapy

reflexology_chart The Osher Center is partnering with the the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center to provide Reflexology foot massage treatments to patients while receiving chemotherapy. After receiving their Reflexology treatment, each patient is also given an instructional postcard (pictured at left) to take home and continue self-care. This innovative program is sponsored by grants from UCSF Partners in Care and the Lloyd Symington Foundation.

Studies have shown that Reflexology can help cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy cope with both the physical and psychological difficulties they may be facing. This novel program, with Reflexology practitioner Paula Koepke, MA, CMT, has been very well-received at the Infusion Center by both patients and staff alike.

“I feel like it gave me an energy boost.  She focused on an area of my feet related directly to my type of cancer and, for me, it was a positive experience,” said one patient. “My foot massage was wonderful! It was very relaxing and comforting,” said another.

“Paula brings her expertise in massage therapy and reflexology to our cancer patients with warmth, gentleness and a genuine ability to make people feel better,” said Catherine Mitsuoka, RN, Assistant Nurse Manager of the Infusion Center.  “Our patients are so appreciative of her healing touch – many look forward to Tuesday mornings! The staff of the Infusion Center have embraced Paula as a member of our collaborative team of caregivers.  We are so grateful to the Osher Center and to UCSF Partners in Care and the Lloyd Symington Foundation for supporting this outstanding program.”

Feedback forms indicate that 100% of recipients would “definitely” recommend this service to others receiving chemotherapy.

Speak Your Mind

*